Saturday

Experimenting.

This is what happens when I don't do meal plans at the grocery and have to improvise.  This time it was pretty good.  I looked in the pantry and fridge and decided to make chicken enchiladas but then realized I didn't have any chicken (which is very unusual, but we've been kind of chicken salad crazy lately.) but I did have some steak I had gotten on sale last week.  So I put the steak in the slow cooker on a 4 hour cycle around lunchtime and then took a nap.  Then, when it was time for dinner, I gathered these ingredients, cooking the rice in the microwave.




Then I layered them in a casserole dish and baked until bubbly.  It was very good topped with sour cream and cheese.

So to review, a small package of steak, a can of Progresso Creamy Mushroom, 2 small cans of red enchilada sauce (or 1 big can), 1 package of Zatarains Jumbalaya Rice (not the family size, the regular), and some Mission corn torillas.   After 15 minutes had passed, it was half gone and I estimate that the leftovers will be gone by dinner today, so it was a hit.  Really, it tasted very similar to the enchiladas I had at a restaurant last week.
Over the years, I have tried several fillings for enchiladas, trying to make it less expensive than just filling them with meat.  I've tried refried beans, cheese, plain rice and other flavored rices but this one was the best of all, nice and spicy.  :-)   I am thankful to all of these companies for making them gluten free and clearly labeling them gluten free.  


No comments:

Post a Comment