Saturday

Entertaining!

I was asked a question yesterday about how to entertain people who have gluten (and other) sensitivities.  It's funny because this is something that my friends have been dealing with for the past 5 years, very nicely and sweetly, but not something that I have had to deal with.  However, if I do have someone over who is gluten sensitive, I will worry that they are more gluten sensitive than me and my 2 kids and maybe I will make them sick.  What a horrible thought.  We do share our kitchen with the 2 gluten eaters in the household and though I am planning to divide it more and start using separate dishes and utensils, we haven't done it yet.

So what would I do?  That is a good question.

If I were baking using my baking pans that have been used for gluten-full items in the past, I'd use baking parchment.   I might make baked chicken or a roast with potatoes and carrots.  I might buy disposable or new baking pans and make things like

scalloped potatoes.

8 potatoes sliced thin - you don't have to peel them.
1 can Progresso creamy mushroom soup - which is gluten free.
1  1/2 onion
a few sprinkles (very light) of garlic salt.  Check the label on this, it may contain wheat.
10 slices american cheese or 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. 

Layer in 13 x 9 pan.
Cover with foil. 
Bake at 375°F for approximately 1 hour or until potatoes reach desired texture.
For a crispy top layer, uncover during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time.  

or hash brown casserole
Here's the hash brown recipe:
Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr.
What you need:
* 32 oz. package frozen shredded hash browns
* 1 c. cold 2 % milk
* 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 1 tsp. chicken bouillon
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 c. chopped onion
* 1 c. sour cream
* 2 c. grated cheddar cheese (or bread crumbs from gluten-free bread tossed with melted butter)
What to do:
1. Spread hash browns in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
2. In a small saucepan mix cold milk and cornstarch with a wire whisk. Add bouillon, salt, and onion.
Heat to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Remove sauce from heat and stir in sour cream. Pour over hash browns.
4. Top with grated cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 F for 1 hr.
 If I were feeling very insecure about my ablity to cook gluten free, I might just buy a rotisserie chicken from either Kroger or Walmart, add some Country Crock mashed potatoes and Bush's Baked Beans (again, cooked in the disposable or new pans.)  

A great resource for gluten free crock pot meals is A Year of Slow Cooking.  There are over 300 recipes there and every one that my family has tried has been good.

Another good solution for a meal is taco salads/tacos.  This is a hit with most people and easy-peasy.  All of the Old El Paso mixes are gluten free and you can make some hamburger and/or chicken flavored with them and then get all the fixings, taco shells and chips, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, avacados or guacamole, peppers, taco sauces and have a wonderful time with everyone building their own tacos or taco salads.

For dessert, have ice cream or if dairy free, fruit sorbets.  



Go ahead, be brave, be careful and invite them!  


No comments:

Post a Comment