Sunday

Talking Turkey - Happy Gluten Free Thanksgiving!

The main dish, the turkey.  Isn't that already gluten free you ask?   Not necessarily, which is weird.  Some of the pre-basted turkeys will have wheat products in them.  Read the label.  Also, if you are not the one cooking the turkey, ask questions about how it is prepared, whether it is basted, has gravy or is stuffed, etc.  I found out last year that my mom-in-law puts "a little bit of flour" in the cooking bag to help the bag not stick to the turkey.   

So read the label and cook the turkey without adding anything that you haven't read the label on.  It seems like we wouldn't have to, but we do.  If you don't feel like cooking a turkey, I understand that Walmart's and Kroger's rotisserie chickens are gluten free.  I personally like to put a chicken in the crock pot.  Cook until the interior temperature is over 165 degrees Fahrenheit.  Then, I put it in the oven for a few minutes to brown.  


No comments:

Post a Comment